Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Introduction


Welcome to my first entry of my first blog.  I will be hitting on a varied palette of subjects, mostly with a Southern trend. 

Some will wonder why “The Sandspur Patch” as a title.  I wanted something that would evoke memories for the others of my generation and similar background.  I also wanted something that would entice new readers to wonder what it could be about.  As a Baby-boomer Southerner, a sandspur patch is something wedged into my memories, between farm work and school.  Any kid who has gone barefoot in Central Florida outside of manicured lawns or parks has probably encountered a sandspur patch.  It’s not something you forget.  The initial pain is unpleasant, but the worst usually comes from removing the sandspur from your foot.  As a child with lots of siblings, there were occasional disputes.  Ok, fights, but none fatal.  Sometimes, as brothers and sisters can tell you, playing will escalate into a fight.  One sure way of accomplishing this was to have a ‘sandspur war’.  You checked the sandspur patch for the longest stem ending in the largest, most vicious cluster of spurs.  Holding by the safe end, you proceeded to swing at your brother or sister to inflict a painful sting.  These battles usually ended in someone calling “Mama!” and the aggressor running for cover.  I hope our sessions don’t end that way!

There are lots of people blogging and so I hope you will find time to read mine after today.   My hope is to get you thinking.  Then I hope you will recall memories of your own growing-up time.  They may be happy, sad or bittersweet.  I hope you will find it entertaining.

4 comments:

  1. I did sherrif's diary for a while but sort of stopped when facebook came to me. I'll watch for your posts. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those horrible things that got in my bare feet...lol. I always went without shoes, still do. My grandson found me with shoes on in the house and couldn't believe it!!! We never fought with sandspurs though. I guess it's because I was a middle child with a siblings 6 yrs older and 6 yrs younger. I love to read you and your siblings quick wit on our TCHS site. You all make my days and I enjoy being part. I know I will enjoy your blog. I have one,but sort of left it behind. Maybe yours will make me start up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a great start. Looking forward to the next installment already. By the way, those sandspur wars could be painful. Use to have them with my three brothers. As the only girl, I normally lost so I know first-hand how painful they can be lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been waiting on this and am so excited!!!! I love reading your inclinations of inspiration and remembrance. Write at will! Can't wait to read them all. ♥

    ReplyDelete